Help ONA Prevent 1 Million
Heart Attacks and Strokes by 2017.
The Ohio Nurses Association has teamed up with The Ohio State University College of Nursing to bring an exciting program to Ohio called the Million Hearts initiative – a national program aimed at preventing heart disease and stroke.
Million Hearts was developed by the CDC with the goal of preventing 1 million heart attacks and strokes by 2017 through personal assessments and education. Together we’ve developed an online program to empower nurses to host their own Million Hearts event while earning continuing education contact hours.
Did you know?
Heart attack and stroke are two of the leading causes of death in the U.S.
People of all ages, genders, races and ethnicities are at risk and certain groups (such as African Americans, women and those between the ages of 40 and 60) are at an even higher risk.
Unfortunately, many people who are at risk do not know it.
How can you get involved?
1) View the Million Hearts Modules
The modules were created by ONA and the OSU College of Nursing so you may know the most current heart attack and stroke information, as well as how to assess members of the community.
There are 4 modules, with each needing from 10 to 20 minutes for completion. 3.46 contact hours are available upon completion of the modules, which includes performing 5 health assessments (hint: do these at your first Million Hearts event!).
To earn contact hours, nurses will need to:
- Go to OSU’s website – http://go.osu.edu/millionhearts
- Select “Million Hearts Fellow ONA Members Only” from the Course list.
- Select create new account if you are a new user or login with your existing account if you are a returning user.
- If you are registering as a new user, you will receive an email with a confirmation link to verify that you have used a valid email address. After receiving this email, please click on the link to activate your account.
- You will be asked for an enrollment key to enroll into the Million Hearts course. The enrollment key is onamillionhearts
- This should complete your enrollment into the course.
- Take the four modules and review the additional information on the website.
- Complete at least five health assessments on individuals of your choice. (Note: ONA and others are setting up “health fairs” or opportunities to conduct health assessments around Ohio. Contact Dodie Dowden at email@example.com or 614-448-1027 if you would like to participate in one of these opportunities.)
- Enter the data from your assessment findings into the OSU Million Hearts database.
- Complete the post-test and evaluation form.
- Describe the Million Hearts® Initiative and risk factors for heart disease and stroke.
- Review the 10 step uniform protocol for completing a Million Hearts ® screening.
- Describe accurate techniques for obtaining biometrics.
- Review normal and abnormal biometrics and labs related to aspirin therapy, blood pressure, obesity, cholesterol, smoking, and stress.
- Describe a triage protocol for emergent, urgent and non-urgent clinical presentations including the referral process to additional assistance.
- Complete 5 assessments of individuals for heart attack and stroke risk.
Criteria for successful completion:
Complete the modules, perform at least 5 health assessments, enter the data from the assessments into the OSU database, pass the post-test with a score of 80% and complete the evaluation.
Availability: The modules, assessment, post-test and evaluation will be available for nurses to complete for nursing contact hours until 5/15/2016.
Conflict of Interest:
The planning committee and faculty have no conflict of interest.
Special thanks go to American Heart Association for the free patient education materials.
The Ohio Nurses Association is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. (OBN-001-91)
2) Host a Million Hearts Event
ONA has combined resources from our members, the Million Hearts website, the American Heart Association and The OSU College of Nursing to create a Million Hearts Event Toolkit to help you host your own Million Hearts Event. Available below, the toolkit includes general information, assessor materials, patient education materials and helpful guides to hosting a Million Hearts event. The American Heart Association has also developed and provided free educational materials that you can print and provide to individuals that you assess regarding decreasing risk factors. The links to the AHA materials are: www.heart.org and www.mylifecheck.org. ONA has even allocated blood pressure cuffs for you to use- a request form is below.
Or Have Us Come to You!
We’re happy to provide these free health assessments at workplaces or community events. If you’re interested, please email Dodie Dowden at firstname.lastname@example.org with your information.