Award-winning approver, top-notch provider.
ONA is the largest approver unit of continuing education in the country, accredited by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. We are also a top-notch provider of educational programs, with all programs recognized by the Ohio Board of Nursing for re-licensure.
In layman’s terms, our continuing education team reviews and approves educational opportunities for organizations across the world. We also produce many educational opportunities, from independent studies to in-person events.
ONA members receive 3 free independent studies every 3 months with CE4Nurses and discounted pricing with live events. The contact hours accumulated through the free studies are enough for license renewal every 2 years.
Learn – Go here for educational opportunities.
Teach – Go here to get activities approved.
Provide – Go here for approved provider information.
OR scroll down to view all information.
CE you can trust.
All of ONA’s continuing education programs are recognized by the Ohio Board of Nursing for re-licensure.
Online, on-paper, instructor-led or at your own pace.
Everyone learns differently. That’s why ONA offers several ways for you to stay current:
- Online, self-paced courses at www.ce4nurses.org
- Live, instructor-led events throughout the year and throughout the state
- Hard copy, self-paced courses published quarterly in the Ohio Nurse publication
- Live and recorded instructor-led webinar series
Ohio’s CE Requirements
The RN licensure period is from September 1 of odd numbered years through August 31 of the following odd numbered year. The LPN licensure period is from September 1 of even numbered years through August 31 of the following even numbered year.
Evidence of CE is required when reactivating or reinstating an inactive or lapsed license or certificate, or upon receipt of a “CE Audit” letter. In addition, when reactivating or reinstating a license or certificate, CE requirements may vary.
• title of the program;
• date of program completion;
• name of the provider;
• number of contact hours;
• OBN Approver number or the name of the authorized provider or the name of the approval body.
All records should be kept for 6 years.
- A CE activity that has been approved by an OBN Approver or by a board or agency regulating the licensee or certificate holder in another jurisdiction. An OBN Approver is an organization that has been authorized by the Board to approve continuing education activities offered by a provider or to approve a Provider Unit. An acceptable CE certificate will include a statement with the OBN Approver’s name and number.
The Ohio Nurses Association OBN Approver Number is OBN-001-91. CE4Nurses is operated by the Ohio Nurses Association.
Get your continuing nursing education activity approved by the Ohio Nurses Association.
Offer quality continuing education programming by getting your activity approved by ONA. We are an approver of continuing nursing education, accredited by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. Our experienced staff will make sure that you have all of the necessary components to make your CE program a success.
Rules for Applying
- Complete application and payment must be submitted at least 6 weeks prior to the activity.
- Applications may NOT be sent via US Mail or via email.
- Applications will not be processed until application fee is received.
- During processing, we will contact the applicant if we require additional information. If an applicant has to be asked for additional information after the second submission, reprocessing fees will occur.
- Commercial entities are not eligible to apply for approval of activities or as a provider unit. A commercial entity is defined as an organization that produces, distributes, markets or re-sells products used by or on patients.
How to Apply Online
- Continuing Education Manual for Individual Activities 2012-2013 Review and familiarize yourself with this manual. It explains in detail how to fill out an application.
- Watch this 10-minute training video on how to use the Online CE Application Manager.
- How To Outline Your Agenda and Correctly Calculate Contact Hours – this 1:37 minute video shows you the right way to outline your agenda, what does and doesn’t count toward contact hours, and how to calculate contact hours.
- Information That’s Required on the Certificate – this 1:41 minute video shows you what information MUST be on your certificate, where to put it and what CANNOT be changed.
- Certificates for Pharm Hours and APRNS – this 1:47 minute video shows you how to format your certificate if you’re offering pharm hours or contact hours for Ohio’s APRN requirement, where to put the info and what CANNOT be changed.
- Find Out What Must Be On Your Advertising – this 2:40 minute video shows you what MUST be on your advertising and what to do if you start advertising before you get your activity approved.
These documents will be uploaded during the application process.
- Biographical and Conflict of Interest Form – you need to fill out a separate one of these forms for each speaker and planning committee member.
Educational Design Grid - instruction on how to complete this document are in the Continuing Education Manual and in the Online CE Application Manager. Choose the one that matches your activity:
These documents are for your reference to help you complete your application. They are not part of your application.
- Commercial Support/Sponsorship Tree
- Conflict of Interest Decision Tree
- Sample Disclosure Statements
- Terms and Conditions for Speakers/Authors
- Sample Faculty Directed Application for your review prior to filling out the online questionnaire
- Sample Independent Study Application – for your review prior to filling out the online questionnaire
- Outcomes – Where Do I Find Them?
- Documenting Needs Assessments
- Joint Provider Agreement for Individual Activity Application
Once your program has been presented, you must fill out the Post Activity Survey and submit to Sandy Swearingen at firstname.lastname@example.org within 30 days of the end of the event. Along with this survey, please include the summative evaluation and a sample of the sign in sheet from the first time you presented the program.
The Ohio Nurses Association (OBN-001-91) is accredited as an approver of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
If your organization presents 15 or more CE activities every 3 years, you may be eligible to become an Approved Provider Unit.
An approved provider unit has the authority to plan, implement, and evaluate its own continuing education activities during the three-year period of provider unit approval.
In order to be eligible, your organization must:
- Have a clearly defined unit or department administratively and operationally responsible for continuing nursing education.
- Have Nurse Planner(s) who meet(s) qualifications of:
- Minimum of BSN
- Have an active RN license
- Knowledge of adult learning, ANCC Accreditation criteria, and OBN rules.
- Have been functioning for at least six months, using accreditation criteria and Ohio Board of Nursing rules.
- During that time, at least three separate activities must have been planned, approved by ONA, implemented, and evaluated with direct involvement of a qualified nurse planner. Each activity must be at least 60 minutes in length. Jointly provided activities are not acceptable.
- Target Audience:
- If you are based in Ohio, you must target at least 50% of your learning activities to nurses within the states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin.
- If your provider unit is based outside of Ohio, you must target at least 50% of your learning activities to nurses within the geographic range of your provider unit. Check www.hhs.gov/about/regionmap.html for the identification of your region plus the states contiguous to your region.
- Not be a commercial entity that produces, markets, re-sells or distributes a product used on or by patients.
See the list of ONA Approver Units.
Please use this form to indicate your intent to apply as a provider unit for continuing nursing education through the Ohio Nurses Association. This will enable us to verify your eligibility. Once you receive confirmation that you are eligible to apply as a provider unit, you may submit your provider application.
Please use this form to indicate your intent to reapply as a provider unit for continuing nursing education through the Ohio Nurses Association. This will enable us to verify your continued eligibility. Complete and submit this form to the Director of Nursing Education within four (4) weeks of receiving it. You will have received this form with your reminder notice, indicating that your provider approval will expire in six months.
- Biographical and Conflict of Interest Form (Revised 2014)
- Ohio Nurses Association Provider Manual For Provider Units Located Outside of Ohio
- Faculty Directed Documentation Form for Approved Provider Units Outside of Ohio
- Independent Study Documentation Form for Approved Provider Units Outside of Ohio
- Independent Study Addendum
- Provider Application Revised 2014
The Indiana State Nurses Association has designated ONA as the official approver of CNE Providers and activities for Indiana.
ANA-Illinois has designated ONA as the official approver of CNE Providers and activities for Illinois.